Raise your hand if you dread cleaning the house. Or, walk past dusty surfaces and clutter with and groan internally knowing you’ll need to go and grab your microfibre duster and sponge.
We get it. Most people feel the same way about cleaning as they do going to the supermarket…it’s a chore.
But, unfortunately for you Meburnians, there is no avoiding cleaning if you want your home to live happily and healthily. Regular cleaning will not only make your place look great, but it will also stop the spread of germs and help you breathe easier.
So, where do you start? This is a question we often get from our customers in Melbourne, which is why we have created this handy house cleaning checklist that you can use as a guide if you don’t feel like hiring a professional cleaning service. Our comprehensive checklist covers all areas of the home – from the kitchen to the bathroom and beyond – so you can simply check things off your list without having to plan a thing. All you need is your cleaning supplies and you’re ready to go full Martha Stewart on your home.
Melbourne whole house cleaning checklist
First things first, arm yourself with your cleaning supplies and you’re ready to begin. Note that if you need to get rid of rubbish or heavy furniture, don’t break your back carrying the heavy items. Our cleaners can work with professional furniture removals service to get rid of them whilst we handle the cleaning.
We have compiled a list of the essential cleaning tasks that apply to every room in your Melbourne household, so make sure you tick the following tasks off the list as you move throughout each room – starting in the kitchen, working your way through to the bathroom, living room and bedrooms:
- Dust surfaces and furniture tops
- Dust blinds, window sills, and lock ledges
- Dust furniture
- Wipe down pictures frames, wall art and decor
- Dust lamps, lamp shades and blinds
- Dust skirting boards and door panels
- Dust ceiling fans, light fixtures and corners
- Clean all mirrors and interior windows
- Vacuum carpets
- Mop floors
- Test batteries in all your smoke detectors
- Disinfect doorknobs, cabinet handles and light switches
- Empty all trash and replace the liner
Melbourne kitchen cleaning checklist
The kitchen is the heart of the home. It’s also the messiest. It’s where we spend the most time – be it preparing dinner, consuming copious amounts of Melbourne coffee (aka the best coffee in Australia), or eating a meal with the family.
It’s for this reason that we always suggest tackling the kitchen first to ensure it’s properly sanitised and sparkling. For a consistent clean every time follow these simple steps:
- Wipe down your appliances, like your your microwave, kettle, coffee machine and other small appliances
- Empty the bread crumb tray in your toaster
- Empty the refrigerator, remove the shelves and wash them separately in the sink
- Wipe inside the fridge with a damp cloth or cleaning wipe and dry
- Clean behind, beneath and on top of the refrigerator to remove dust and dirt
- Disinfect your microwave inside and out
- Spot clean the front of your cabinets and disinfect the door knobs
- Wipe down and sanitise your kitchen countertops
- Clean your oven and scrub the stovetop
- Clear out cabinets and wipe down the shelves
- Disinfect the sink and shine the inner rim of your sink guard and tapware
Cleaning checklist for Melbourne bathrooms
The bathroom is another important room of the house to keep clean at all times, as it’s a warm, damp area, which helps bacteria, germs and dreaded mold to thrive. You should be wiping down your surfaces daily anyway to reduce the amount of germs and bacteria you could be unknowingly exposing your family to, but for more of a deep clean you can add these tasks to the list:
- Clean bathtub, rinse and squeegee
- Scrub shower recesses, fittings and clean glass
- Spray mould with bleach, leave for a few minutes and scrub
- Clear the basin and vanity, spray and scrub
- Scrub and disinfect toilet, including the base and the surrounding area
- Clean and polish mirrors cleaned and all tapware
- Check and rid exhaust fan of any dust
- Wipe down light fixtures and doorknobs
- Wipe down tiles and fittings
- Disinfect waste bin and empty contents
- Organize cabinets and drawers
- Wash the shower curtain and put the floor mat and used towels in the washing machine
Living room cleaning list Melbourne
Most of us spend a lot of time in the living room – probably watching Netflix, or even eating dinner in front of the TV. Yes, you’re not sleeping in there, or preparing a family meal like the bedroom and kitchen, but nonetheless the living room requires regular cleaning just like any other room.
Besides, who wants to watch Netflix while sitting on a mound of Cheetos dust? No one. Use this list to give your living room a once-over to clean like a pro:
- Dust all hard surfaces, including the TV and the TV unit
- Disinfect the doorknobs, light fixtures and remotes
- Vacuum the carpet and soft furnishings, like the couch
- Tidy up any clutter that has accumulated, like remotes, DVDs, magazines and mugs
- Disinfect any children’s toys that have been laying about (put them in the dishwasher or washing machine)
- Straighten the cushions or put the covers in the washing machine, if needed
- Dust and shine any glass surfaces, like glass tables and the TV screen
- Vacuum and mop hard-to-reach places, like underneath the couch
Bedroom cleaning list
We spend at least eight hours a day in bed, so you want to make your bedroom as clean as possible (you don’t want to be breathing in dust and allergens every night).
By regularly deep cleaning your bedroom you will sleep better, breathe easier and wake up each morning without having to anxiously look at your “floordrobe”. You also accidentally mistaken the pile of clothes on your chair for something from ‘The Conjuring’ in the middle of the night. Here’s what we suggest:
- Dust all surfaces, including your side tables and your dresser
- Dust and wipe down your bed frame and headboard
- Clean your mirrors and shine
- Wipe down the window sills and blinds
- Disinfect the doorknobs and light switches
- Vacuum the carpets, including under the bed and in any built-in wardrobes
- Mop any non-carpeted floors
- Tidy up any clothing or clutter and put used clothing in the laundry
- Empty your laundry basket
- Wash your bedding and pillows
- Organise your drawers and wardrobes
House Cleaning services in Melbourne
Feeling a bit daunted by our cleaning checklist? No worries, ditch the list and leave deep cleaning to the professionals. Calibre Cleaning offers professional house cleaning services for residential homes across the entire Melbourne area, including Brighton, Brunswick, South Yarra, Albert Park and more.
We offer a range of cleaning services to Melbourne residents to suit their needs – from end of lease cleans to deep cleaning to spring cleaning – at a fixed rate price, so you don’t have to worry about any hidden costs.
We provide our services to the whole of Melbourne, meaning our cleaners will come to you on a day and time that best suits your schedule. While we clean your home, explore the best activities to do around Melbourne.
Contact us online or find your local Calibre Cleaning to schedule your clean today. Planning on moving out of your Melbourne home? Consider availing of our end of lease cleaning services in Melbourne!