Do your walls need sprucing up? Is an end of lease cleaning service out of the budget? Maybe, you are thinking of painting the house this spring ? Or you’re just tired of looking at all those smudge and grease marks? If you have to clean the walls in your home, this is the perfect article to read because we reveal the secrets professional cleaners use.
What you’ll need to clean your walls
You will need some equipment and products to clean your walls. Here’s a list:
- Cobweb Broom
- Duster (with extendable arm)
- Magic eraser
- Selleys Sugar Soap
- Sponge or cloth
- Rubber gloves
How to clean your walls
Step 1. Remove Cobwebs
The first thing to do is to remove all cobwebs from the walls. To make it easier for yourself, use a long-handled cobweb broom. You can easily purchase one from Bunnings or K-Mart. We’ve included an image.
When choosing a cobweb broom, get one with an extension handle and flexible head with strong bristles. Use the broom to clean the cornices, architraves, ceilings, corners, and skirtings to remove cobwebs.
Step 2. Remove Surface Dust
The next step is to remove any surface dust from the wall. To do this, use a microfibre duster with an extendable arm. You can pick up a good one from your local supermarket or hardware store. We recommend Sabco Extendable Feathered Microfibre Duster for its superior functions including a removable head (for when you do not require an extension), bendable shape (to reach difficult corners) and removable washable fabric.
Step 3. Wash the walls
To wash your walls, we recommend Selley’s Sugar Soap. The wipes are ideal for a smaller room but if you have a large surface to clean, these wipes can become costly. Use their sugar soap concentrate instead. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Dilute in a bucket of warm, clean water and use a soft sponge or cloth to wipe down the walls.
To use wipes, start with the smooth side to give the wall a good clean. Turn it over to the rough side to get rid of stubborn marks.
Step 4. How to get rid of stubborn stains on walls
Here are some of the ways the professionals from NeatBrite House Cleaners do it:
Tip 1: Remove stains from walls with cleaning erasers
Cleaning erasers can remove stains on walls where traditional soap and water treatment had no effect. You can buy cleaning erasers from your local supermarket or hardware store. You do not need any cleaning solution to use a cleaning eraser – just the eraser and some clean warm water.
- Cut the eraser to the size you want.
- Wet with water (following the manufacturer’s recommendations).
- Conduct a small spot test first.
- Rub gently on the mark until it disappears.
- Wipe dry with a microfibre cloth.
Tip 2: Remove stains from walls with soap and water
Simple soap and water can not just remove most stains from walls but also your equipment including bbqs, oven trays and cutlery.
- Mix a few drops of dishwashing liquid in a bucket of warm water. We recommend a fragrant-free dishwashing liquid to minimise the risk of chemicals reacting with walls.
- Wet a sponge. Gently dab the area with the sponge until marks disappear.
- Wipe dry with a microfibre cloth.
Tip 3: Remove stains with multi-purpose cleaners
Some multi-purpose cleaners can be used to clean walls. Read the manufacturer’s instructions first before you proceed. Always conduct a spot check first before you use any products with chemical compounds.
Top 5 Wall Cleaning Hacks
Here’s a collection of wall cleaning hacks you will love:
How to Remove Blue Tac from Walls
This one come straight from Shanon Lush’s website:
- Put a small ball of Blu Tac in the freezer for a few minutes until it is hard.
- Press the frozen ball against the Blu Tac on the wall. The soft ball should stick to the frozen ball.
- Remove firmly but slowly so you don’t rip paint or plaster off.
How to Remove Crayon from Walls
- Put a couple of drops of tea tree oil on a slice of brown bread (brown bread has bran which is a natural and gentle abrasive)
- Scrunch the bread into the wall to remove the crayon smudges.
- Turn the bread over so the crust is facing the wall and wipe gently from side to side to absorb any excess oil.
- DO NOT USE WHOLEGRAIN BREAD as they are too abrasive.
How to Remove Make Up from Walls
- Blot as much of the stain away as possible with a clean cloth. This method works if the spill is fresh.
- Dab a little vegetable oil on oil-based lipstick stains. Let sit for 10 minutes then wipe clean with a cloth and warm water.
- Soak a terry cloth in warm water for older stains. Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to the cloth and apply on the stain. Dab gently until the stain has completely disappeared. Do not rub too hard or you may remove paint or plaster.
- Rinse with clean water and a microfibre cloth.
- Mix ½ tbs white vinegar with ½ tbs dishwashing liquid if the stain is still visible. Blot the stain until it disappears. Rinse with clean water and a microfibre cloth.
- In addition to vinegar cleaning wall stains and grime, it can also disinfect surfaces and help remove limescale from your appliances. It’s a cost-effective cleaning product that everyone should have in their household.
How to Remove Hair Dye from Walls
- Apply rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth and dab gently.
- Mix 1 tbs of hydrogen peroxide with baking soda and apply on the area with a cotton cloth.
- Mix one-part white vinegar with one-part water in a spray bottle. Spray on the stain. Leave for a few minutes. Then wipe dry.
How to Remove Scuff Marks from Walls
- Mix 3-parts baking soda to one-part water to form a paste.
- Apply to the wall using a cotton tip or sponge.
- Leave for a few minutes.
- Rinse and dry.
Looking For Professional Cleaning Services?
If you don’t think DIY wall cleaning is for you, you can always look into hiring Calibre cleaning services instead. Our house cleaning services are available in various cities in Australia, including Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Gold Coast, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney. End of lease cleaning services are also available in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Gold Coast, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney.
CAN’T FIND THE WALL CLEANING HACK YOU NEED?
DROP US A LINE HERE.
OUR EXPERTS CAN ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS!